During the winter months, when the weather is particularly cold, boiler condensate pipes can freeze.
If your boiler is showing an error code or a series of flashing lights on a particularly cold day, check your boiler manual as a frozen condensate pipe could be the problem. The following steps will help you to defrost the pipe.
Step 1 – Locate the boiler condensate pipe
It tends to be either a white or black plastic pipe that runs from your boiler to outside and down to the nearest drain. As this pipe is exposed to outside conditions it is easy for the pipe to freeze causing the water inside to turn to ice and block the pipe to the boiler.
Step 2 – Unblock the drain
Remove any ice or leaves etc. from the drain that the condensate pipe runs into
Step 3 – Defrost the pipe
The quickest way to defrost a frozen condensate pipe is to pour boiling hot water directly over it. Start at the end of the pipe that is closest to the drain and then work your way up the pipe until you reach the top where it enters the wall. You may need to do this more than once to thaw all of the ice. You may also find that you need to repeat this step more than once in a day if the weather is particularly cold and the pipe freezes again.
Step 4 – Re-set your boiler
Once the pipe has fully thawed return to your boiler and press the re-set button. Your boiler should then begin to operate as normal again.
If the boiler continues to display an error code/flashing lights call us on 0191 5492316 as the boiler may have another fault.
If you have persistent problems with your condensate pipe freezing we can advise on different methods of insulating exterior pipework to stop it from happening.
Stop the “Silent Killer” – fit a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the ‘Silent killer’ as it is a poisonous invisible gas that has no smell or taste. You are at risk of carbon monoxide poising from gas appliances which haven’t been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.
Breathing in carbon monoxide can make you seriously unwell and every year over 1,100 people in the UK are admitted to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. It also leads to around 50 deaths per year.
For the safety of you and your family, it is advisable to fit carbon monoxide detectors in your home. A Carbon monoxide detector is an alarm which alerts you to the presence of carbon monoxide and one should be fitted in every room that has a gas appliance. It is important to ensure that the alarm(s) that you choose are audible so that they will also wake you up when you are asleep.
Gas Safe Register recommends that “carbon monoxide alarms should be marked to EN 50291 and also have the British Standards’ Kitemark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it.”
You should also follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions on siting, testing and replacing the alarm to ensure that it is always working correctly.
New legislation for landlords
From October 2015 new legislation is expected to come into force where Landlords will be required to ensure that working carbon monoxide alarms are installed in their rental properties. We can install a carbon monoxide detector for only £25 if it is fitted during a landlord gas safety check
Call us today and one of our Gas Safe registered engineers will be able to advise you on gas safety in your home or rental property.
Please note that a carbon monoxide alarm is no substitute for correct installation and servicing of your gas appliances. Make sure you that you get your gas appliances checked and serviced every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Drop us an email on our Contact Us page and we will add your details to our yearly reminder service. You will then receive a postcard from us every year when your appliance is due a service.
The winter is now in full swing, the promise of snow and ‘weather bombs’ mean it truly is getting colder out. Now is the time to make sure your heating is operating to it’s maximum efficiency.
Central Heating & Boiler Care Plans
Peace of mind 365 days a year. Don’t find yourself caught out during bad weather.
Breakdowns in your hot water supply or heating system can occur just when you least expect it, and can take time and be expensive to fix, with boiler parts such as the heat exchanger costing up to £350 plus labour to replace.
Our central heating and boiler service plans care for your boiler all year round to help to ensure it performs at its best, don’t worry if something should go wrong one of our Gas Safe registered engineers will come out to you.
To discuss our Service Plans further, call us on 0191 549 2316. Urgent Gas Repairs in Tyne & Wear
If you need a gas repair you should phone Seaburn Gas on 0191 549 2316.
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. It replaced CORGI. The Gas Safe Register makes sure the engineers on the Register are safe by inspecting the gas work they have carried out.
As Gas Safe registered engineers you can feel safe in the knowledge that we are competent and qualified to work safely and legally with gas. By using a Gas Safe registered engineer you are protecting yourself and your family from incorrectly fitted, fixed and serviced gas appliances. These are a major cause of lethal carbon monoxide poisoning, and can also lead to gas leaks, fires and explosions.
Always ask for our Gas Safe Register ID card and check the back of the card to make sure we are qualified for the work you need. To check our registration details visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2014, taking place 15th – 21st September.
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
If you’re a landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:
Pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
All appliances and flues provided for tenants use have an annual safety check. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register.
All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.
Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineers ID card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing. Encourage your tenants to do the same.
For more information and to find and check an engineer go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.